How to install SCCM 1511 on Windows Server 2016 TP4

Hi all,

I’ve solved a problem with the installation of SCCM 1511 on Windows Server 2016 TP4 today.

I’m trying to complete my tutorial on configuring SCCM in a HTTPS environment and decided to install it on Windows Server 2016.

Everything was going right until I tried to add Application Catalog Website and web service point.

The MSI files complained about needing to have IIS 7 or higher installed… WS 2016 comes with IIS 10 which doesn’t seem to be considered as higher than IIS 7…

I decided to go for it and find a solution and … here it is.

• Download and install Orca.msi file (Orca.msi)
  • Copy awebsvc.msi and portalweb.msi files from C:\Program files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64 to another directory (C:\Temp for example)
  • Edit both files with Orca and modify and save this :

Edit MSI files using Orca

To this :

Modifiy Value

• Put back both files in the original directory and install roles.

Application Catalog Website OK

Have fun

EDIT 26/01/2016 : Here are the files I modified :

awebsvc.msi : Mega Uploaded

portlweb.msi : Mega Uploaded

You need to place them in the C:\Program files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\x64 directory (and replace or rename the original files) before adding roles to your server.

I still haven’t found a way to successfully install SCUP on Windows Server 2016. If anyone has an idea, I’d be glad to test it.

Thanks

9 comments for “How to install SCCM 1511 on Windows Server 2016 TP4

1. Elad Cohen
    18/01/2016 at 12:04

After 48 hours I gave up that does not work for me !

• cgirardy
      19/01/2016 at 11:51

Do you want the .msi files I modified ?
      You just need to replace them in the SCCM directory before adding the roles.

2. 31/01/2016 at 06:17

Thanks a lot; I used your files and they worked like a charm.

• cgirardy
      31/01/2016 at 10:39

You’re welcome 🙂
      I’m still fighting with SCUP… but it’s a dead end unfortunately 🙁
      I hope they’ll publish a new version of include it in SCCM’s console as a role.

3. 05/10/2016 at 23:13

Did you use SCUP tool in Windows Server 2016?

• cgirardy
      06/10/2016 at 18:31

Hi,
      I haven’t been able to install SCUP on Windows 2016 Server. Unfortunately, it doesn’t like the new IIS version.
      I’m still looking for a solution. As you can see here (https://configurationmanager.uservoice.com/forums/300492-ideas), it’s a top request from SCCM users.
      I hope MS will give us a solution soon.

4. 06/10/2016 at 00:59

Can I use SCCM without using HTTPS?

• cgirardy
      06/10/2016 at 18:33

Hi again,
      Of course you can install SCCM without using HTTPS.
      Note that you’ll need HTTPS if you want to manage Apple computers or any mobile device using Microsoft Intune.
      It’s easier to prepare your infrastructure with HTTPS than moving from a non-HTTPS to an HTTPS infrastructure.
      Have a nice day